Summer is here!!!! After all the packing/unpacking for the end of the school year, wedding planning, the wedding itself, and the house cleaning/reorganizing, we can finally sit back and relax a bit before we head back to Hong Kong for our wedding part deux in a few days! Heading back to HK is part of our wedding journey as we couldn’t have all 100 family members fly over to celebrate with us in Toronto. Instead, we will have a banquet style dinner in HK with them. It’s going to be fun to partially (because we aren’t going to have a full out reception, but simply a dinner together to catch up) re-live our happiest day. 🙂
Baking (and cooking) has been on the back burner for essentially the past year.. (unfortunately for my now hubsy, who keeps complaining that I haven’t made him any treats lately lol). So combining the summer essentials of strawberries and ice cream, I present, Chocolate Dipped Waffle Cones with Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream with REAL Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake bites and a Strawberry Biscuit as garnish.
Essentially, the real recipe is the Strawberry Shortcake cupcake. Everything else is store bought and somewhat DIY’d.
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes (makes about 12-18 regular sized cupcakes)
Stuff I used:
1/2 a container of strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped into cubes
1 tbsp of cornstarch
1 tbsp of sugar (or keep adding until you get the desired sweetness)
Angel Food Cake:
1 cup cake flour
1 cup sugar
12 large egg whites (make sure they’re room temperature!)
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. real vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean
500 mL whipping cream (35%, heavy cream)
3 tbsp. of sugar (again add as much sugar as desired)
1 tbsp of gelatin powder, mixed with 2 tbsp of cold water to dissolve (this is used to make the whipping cream easier to pipe with later), you can skip this ingredient if you don’t plan on piping..
Putting it all together:
1. Hull, and quarter 1/2 the container of strawberries.
2. Place in small sauce pan/pot and add sugar, water and cornstarch.
3. Let simmer on medium to low heat and add more water/sugar/cornstarch to get a thick consistency.
4. Take off heat and cool to be used later
Angel Food Cupcakes:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Sift the cake flour and 1/2 cup of sugar together in a bowl and set aside.
3. Separate eggs and be sure not to get any yolk in the bowl. If a yolk breaks, you’ll unfortunately need to start. again.
4. Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until peaks begin to form.
5. Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue beating on high until stiff peaks begin to form.
6. Slice open a vanilla bean and add the insides of it, along with the vanilla extract to the egg whites
7. Slowly fold mixture into the flour bowl.
8. Distribute batter evenly (to the tops to get a nice fluffy look to your cupcakes) into regular sized cupcake pans, lined with cupcake liners.
9. Bake for 12 minutes, then check with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean (that means it’s cooked through), then broil for 2 minutes until golden brown (broiling is optional, but I like the tops brown, looks nicer :P)
10. Remove from oven and cool completely.
1. Beat the cream until peaks begin to form.
2. Add sugar and gelatin mixture, beating on low, until desired sweetness is reached.
3. Beat until stiff peaks begin to form.
Note: don’t discard that vanilla pod – add it to a small bowl of sugar for instant vanilla sugar!
Assembly (of the cupcakes):
1. Once the cupcakes are completely cool, use a sharp (but small) knife to cut a circular hole on the tops (be careful not to cut all the way to the bottom!). This will be where you will fill your cupcakes with the strawberry filling you made earlier.
2. Once filled, cover the filling with the cupcake that you cut out.
3. Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh strawberry slices.
*************************************Adding this to a Chocolate Dipped Cone…..****************************************
Chocolate Dipped Cone:
1. Use Venezuela Dark Chocolate Chips (72%) from PC brand and melt some chips inside of a large mason jar in the microwave.
2. Once all the chocolate is melted, stir it around with a chopstick (so chinese lol) to make sure all the bits are melted.
3. Dipped the store bought waffle cones, (open side down) into the chocolate and take it out and set it inside the champagne glasses to drip and set.
4. Put in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes before serving to ensure chocolate has hardened.
1. Take your waffle cone and load it up with PC brand Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream. (Alternatively, you can use any kind of ice cream obviously.. :P)
2. Add your strawberry shortcake on top as garnish.. make sure it does not topple.. lol
3. Place a strawberry biscuit on top (this is optional and we added it because we had it on hand.. haha)
4. Now think about how you will eat this heaping mountain of goodness. 🙂